Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

NOT BAD!



I didn't get to see the game Saturday because I was out of town in WV for a wedding. At noon on Saturday I cruised on down to the lobby to a computer where I would pick up play by play on MGOBLOG. Here is where things get weird. As I get off the elevator and turn down a hallway to my destination, I peek over to a big screen T.V. to catch the score of the ND-pitt game. If it wasn't bad enough being surrounded by Marshall and Va. tech fans on their way to Huntington for the game. I caught the profile of a man sitting there by himself looking bitter and totally unapproachable. A man with his publicist (I think) sitting in the corner, this man was watching the game with a remote control in his hand and nobody around him. As I got a closer look, I understood why he had no companionship. That's right folks...there he was...in the flesh..MR. Rich Rodriguez. I didn't know if I should smack him in the back of the head and ridicule him for the last three disatrous years of Michigan football or shake his hand and congratulate him for the recruitment of Denard Robinson. I kept my distance.

As far as Michigan football goes, I followed play by play for a majority of the first half and liked what I heard and could gather from it. As the day went on I followed the score and enjoyed the way it turned out. I figured, hey, one TD in the last two games. Kept Hillman in check for what he has been doing lately, I think. Four turnovers and still controlled the game, nice. I returned home last night and went to a friends to watch the game this morning that he had DVR'd. This team understands what they do well and they do it. They run up and down the field like a track team. My friend was wondering why teams still get a heavy dose of Denard running the ball? This is what I told him, " some good teams have their guy, if you play Stanford then you get Luck, when you play OK State, you get Blackmon, when you play Oregon you get James and when you play Michigan, you get Denard". He needs to become a better passer, we all know that but he will be working on that until he leaves as a senior.


Defensively, I was impressed and I will not apologize for it. This team could have been caught napping and it didn't happen. Mattison is excellent in rotating guys to keep hungry players in the game. Blake Countess is a stud and was an absolute blanket in coverage. Lindley is a good QB and could do nothing but dink and dunk 9 yard passes all day. Late in the fourth quarter the defense was priding themselves on not letting them into the end zone. They were successfull and really played hard and intense throughout the game. People were flying to the ball and causing turnovers once again. Hustle was noticed throughout and it paid off with plays like Jake Ryans FR. Getting Countess some time let them know where he stands and that was huge, that kid can cover. This team is getting better defensively every week and that makes Michigan a serious contender for a big-ten championship.

Check out these national defensive numbers folks.

Rush D - 86th, but has only given up one rushing TD this season
pass D - 41st, keeping opposing QB's under 57% and 200 yds a game. Only 4 TD's and 3 int's as well.
Total D - 71st, 5td's and 3 fg's on the season.
Scoring D - 13th, 13.67 points a game.
Fumbles recovered - tied for 2nd with 7
Turnovers gained - tied 5th, with 10
Red zone D - 3rd, 1td and 3 fg's
32nd in turnover margin.
This is why the D is so much better.

BIG TEN POWER POLL
1.Wisconsin 4-0, no doubt about this. They run, they throw , they play D. Wilson is the only player keeping denard from another guaranteed OPOTY.
2.Nebraska 4-0, Consistent, nothing has changed. One of these two teams will drop next week after the conference game of the week between Wisconsin and Nebraska.
3.Michigan 4-0, A heavy dose of Denard, Toussaint and Smith and emerging D keeps a solid 3. Minnesota next
4.Illinois 4-0, the last of the undefeated teams. A bit of a struggle with WMU but wins and sets up next weeks rivalry game with Northwestern.
5.MSU 3-1, veteran QB, 3 productive RB's and good WR's. Statistically, the No.1 D in the country currently.
6.Iowa 3-1, Putting it together and Vandencrack is a pure passer. Coaching is key with these guys.
7.Penn State 3-1, Having some injury problems and QB questions but they nip osu because they are a hair better today. They will beat IU next week.
8.ohio 3-1, B. Miller did some nice things but still struggled with 5 of 13 passing. Next week starts a brutal four game stretch with MSU coming to town.
9.Northwestern 2-1, they lost to army but get Persa back in time to travel to Illinois for a huge conference game. They will have two weeks to prepare though being off this week.
10.Purdue, off this week as well and play ND next week.
11.Minnesota, Whatever, unless they upset Michigan and then they are awesome.
12. Indiana, Fart sounds

No comments:

Post a Comment