Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

TODAYS UPDATES

Last week I blogged about two players I thought were future commits to ohio. Teammates, 4 star WR Dwayne Stanford and 5 star DE Adolphus Washington were supposed to be a package deal no matter where they committed. Today the two made their announcements and surprisingly they went opposite directions. Stanford announced he would attend Oregon while teammate A. Washington committed to ohio. I believe ohio got the better player but a top WR was probably a bigger loss. What's interesting in Washington's commitment is quite a few teams cooled on him late in his recruitment. Teams like ND, Michigan and MSU seemed to back off a little bit, I found out why. Washington is athletically gifted but seems to be an academic liability. Some behind the scenes recruiting sources are saying he has some problems in the classroom, he will be one to keep an eye on. Remember that some of the schools that backed off, like Michigan, MSU and ND have a higher academic standard than ohio, Oregon as well. Here is an actual quote from a press conference immediately following the commitment. " It's the education part " Washington continued. " I know all these schools athletically can offer me the same thing. The academic support at ohio, there is no way you can fail. Even if your giving minimal effort there is no way to fail." Take what you want from that.


Urban Meyer rumors are flying. A matter a fact, I have heard that Herbstreit may coach QB's and Spielman LB's. What is true? Is this stuff a little over the top? My opinion is that Meyer just may be the next coach at ohio but I really would like to hear him say it. I don't believe anything until I hear it. I'm sure ohio would love to have him but this whole thing is entirely up to Urban Meyer himself. I don't know too much about his anxiety and heart problems but the rumor was they were a little serious. With the sanctions yet to be handed out and recruiting ending in early FEB. ( I don't know how many schollies ohio has left to give out ) this announcement should be soon, in the next couple weeks we should know. That's a hell of a pressure cooker for a man with stress problems to step into. Would he coach the bowl game? How would recruiting pan out? Meyer VS. Hoke for many years to come would be exciting for sure. For those who don't remember, Meyer and Michigan DC Greg Mattison were both on that 06-07 Florida staff that won the NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment