Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

DREAMING OF GAMEDAY!



I feel guilty at times for this. There are times of anticipation, I'm anxious. Counting the days down like a teenager counting the final school days until summer. Wondering if all my predictions and defending my favorite team for the last nine months was worth it. It's two weeks from today, the most exciting time of the year for a majority of my friends from the ages of 30-45. All the talking will slow just a bit, but not totally. Justifying losses and exaggerating how good your team looks in a mediocre victory. Two weeks from today is GAMEDAY.

We all love our wives and children, I mean if it was a life or death situation, football would take a backseat to our family duties. I am sure if it was something important like a wedding or baptism, maybe a family reunion, we all would put Saturday footbal on the backburner to attend these functions with a smile on our faces. Reality is nothing except death (only if a close family member) would keep us away from our College Football. We are made fun of by other countries and even our wives and their friends when it comes the seriousness of being a fan of the game.

Who of us radical football fans are not longing for those early fall mornings. Myself? Get up, make coffee and turn on Gameday hoping they say something inspiring about my boys so I can call somebody and say " did you hear what they said about Michigan"? Throw on my Michigan sweatshirt and hat that I have been wearing for 4 or 5 years. Head over to my buddies house with butterflies in my stomach as if I was playing. Then we go over the strategies of the game, you know, what we need to do to win this baby (as if we have any control over it whatsoever, and if we did, that our input would actually be a factor in the outcome). These are normal Saturdays starting in early September.

As pathetic as all of this may sound, I wouldn't have it any other way. These upcoming months are the best months of the year. One more season of being glued to the tube at 10:00AM watching gameday until Pac-10 games go off around 1:00 A.M. Next time this happens I will be 40yrs old and then 41, so on and so on. We all have our favorite teams and the one's we hate. when it is all said and done, Football has become a ritual on Saturdays, during these crisp fall mornings. So enjoy, don't kill anybody and most of all GO BLUE.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment